When a Death Occurs
Whenever a death occurs, it is important to notify the funeral home as soon as possible, so that the funeral director can take immediate steps to arrange a convenient time to meet with you and make all the necessary arrangements. Unfortunately, many people often assume that health care professionals will contact the funeral home, but this is not the case. After the initial call, we will contact the person in charge of the funeral arrangements to arrange a time to meet.
If a death should occur outside your home community or outside the Province, be sure to call or have someone else call Belvedere Home Funeral Home, and we will begin making all the necessary arrangements on your behalf.
Whenever a death occurs, there are certain tasks that need to be handled quickly and efficiently. To assist us in providing the highest quality service we can offer, the following information should be provided to us in the initial call:
- Name and phone number of the person calling
- The name of the deceased
- A contact number for the place of death
- The deceased's Doctor's name
- The name and phone number for the person responsible for making arrangements.
The person in charge of the funeral arrangements should have the following information available at the first meeting with Belvedere Funeral Home's Funeral Director:
- The Deceased's full name, including the Deceased's maiden name, if female
- The Deceased's last known mailing address
- The Deceased's birth date
- The Deceased's birth place
- The Deceased's occupation
- A list of the Deceased's Next of Kin and their mailing address
- Marital Status (and, if married, name of the Deceased's partner)
- The Deceased's SIN or HN
- The Deceased's Father's name
- Father's birth place
- Mother's maiden name
- Mother's birth Place
- Name of clergy (the funeral director will contact the clergy)
- Details for visitation
- Designation of memorial donations
- Location of funeral service
- Special music - hymns, soloist, etc.
- Honorary pallbearers (if desired)
- Flowerbearers (if desired)
- Name of attending physician
- Names of family members you wish to place in the death notice - we will write it.
- Any special prayer services or fraternities.
ITEMS REQUIRED IF THERE IS A VIEWING:
- Recent picture
- Full set of clothing including undergarments (shoes not necessary)
- Symbols (religious or otherwise)
- Contact immediate family and close friends
- Notify employer and business associates
- Locate the will and notify the lawyer and executor
- Arrange for someone to answer the door and the telephone - record messages
- Arrange for child care, if necessary
- Make any necessary arrangements for visiting relatives and friends
- Contact all applicable Life Insurance Companies
- Apply for any death benefits including Canada Pension Death Benefit and Survivor's Benefit (see "Links" on this website)
- Notify bank and any other applicable financial institutions
- Notify landlord, utility companies and post office.